Monday, January 29, 2018

New Year, Big Changes

Another year gone and of course now it feels like it went by super fast like always. My husband and I welcomed 2018 planted on the couch in the living room of an airbnb rental in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My Christmas gift to him was tickets for us to see the Bears play the Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium because it's an enclosed stadium (I was not about to freeze at Soldier Field) and he loves the Bears.

This last Christmas was unlike any other, giving us (my hubby and I) one of the greatest gifts of all. On the Friday before Christmas I noticed my monthly was late, and it's always on time. I took a pregnancy test in the restroom of my uncle's restaurant during which I was helping in the evenings at that time. I didn't really think anything of it because I thought maybe it was just stress attributing to my late period, but not even 1 minute after peeing on the stick and turning to flush the toilet did I see two dark lines, PREGNANT. 

My hubby decided to surprise me that day and met me at the restaurant to accompany me as I closed that night, so keeping it a secret after I walked out of the restroom was incredibly difficult. I wanted to yell "YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DAD," but instead I was calm and collected as I nonchalantly put the positive test in my purse. At this moment my brain started to work and think of ways to tell him I was pregnant. I wanted it to be special and a surprise, so of course I needed my sister's help since I couldn't do something with him being with me all night. I sent a text to my sister asking if we could meet up the following morning to talk about some things, but of course I forget she has anxiety and she begins to call me until I answer to find out why we need to meet up. Over the phone was not how I wanted to tell her she was going to be an aunt, but she gave me no other choice. She was ecstatic and said not to worry, she would take care of it all for me to surprise my hubby.

During my 4 hour shift that night my amazing sister handmade T-Shirts for my husband, his parents, and my parents. My hubby is a big Batman fan so she made a shirt with the Batman logo that read, "Call me BatDad, baby coming 2018." I told my husband I had to pick up something from my sister's that night and I'd meet him at home, luckily he didn't question me too much about it and didn't insist on him going with me. I decided to take a second test once I got to my sister's, just to be sure the first wasn't a false positive. Sure enough, a second positive test.

On my way home I just kept thinking about how excited he was going to be given that he has been ready to be a dad since the day I met him four and a half years ago. The thought of how happy he'd be made me feel even more excited to get home to him and tell him that same night, I just couldn't wait any longer. So I get home and the one time he goes to bed early is this night, so I decide to wake him up. Half asleep and in PJ's I tell him to come to the living room and open an early Christmas gift I have for him. He admitted to me after that the truly thought I had gotten him the Surface Pro he'd been bugging me for and assumed that was why I was recording him (and on FaceTime with my sister). haha Well it definitely was not that, but something even better. As he took the shirt out of the box he first noticed the Batman logo and said how cool it was. Then he read the BatDad part and was in shock, he just kept saying, "nuh uh, for real?"

It was such a beautiful moment that I am so grateful I was able to record for us to look back on and have as a lifetime memory. He was so excited he wanted to tell everyone at that moment, but aside from it being past midnight, I told him my sister was amazing enough to make shirts for our parents so we can surprise them as well on Christmas. 

Sharing the news with our immediate family was so exciting and nerve wrecking. We told his parents first since we spent Christmas Eve with them and to my surprise my father-in-law cried. My mother-in-law said she would have, but didn't want to ruin her makeup, understandable. My sister-in-law was incredibly happy for us as well and cried, it was beyond touching to see how excited they all were. 

On Christmas Day we were able to tell both sides of my family, since my parents are divorced. My parents didn't react quite as I had imagined, being that this would be their first grandchild, but I'm sure it was due to the added stress I had mentioned earlier that we were all going through. It did hurt a bit to not have such an exciting reaction from the two, but my aunts, uncles, and cousins on each side made up for the lack of enthusiasm from my parents. 

I'm currently now in week 9 and since I found out have been feeling every symptom there is to feel. Each day it gets a tad bit better, but still feeling tired and drained. My daily prayer has not solely focused on the health of my baby that is growing inside and for my husband who has to deal with me. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

11 strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously 12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light. - Colossians 1:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment